- To spread the knowledge of horticulture
- To encourage beautification in our private and public gardens
- To promote the protection of the environment
An Early History
The beginnings of the Milton Horticultural Society were announced in the Milton Canadian Champion in April 1909 when it was reported that “a horticultural society is being organized this week” and that “a large number of citizens have signed the membership roll, subscribing $1.00 each”.
By June of that year it was reported that “the horticultural society has issued attractive cards called ‘Good Citizens Pledge’ which are being distributed to members.” The cards were to be placed in conspicuous places “to let others know that you are a member of this society which with your help can do much to beautify this town of ours”.
In January 1910 the annual meeting of the “Milton Horticultural and Local Improvement Society” was held at the Royal Templars Hall and officers elected for the coming year. At that meeting it was reported that “the Society is very much gratified with the results of its work so far, although as yet not a year old”. In 1909, without the benefit of any government grant, the Society gave out $30 in prizes as well as $1.00 worth of tulip bulbs to every member. In 1910, it was expected that the Society would receive a government grant of $1.00 per member so even back then came the reminder that “the more members, the larger the grant”.
In April of 1910 came the first report of the Society bringing in guest speakers. The meeting was open to the public and was well attended.
Mr. Steele of Hamilton talked about what his society had done in the way of ‘local improvement’ in his city and Prof. Hutt of the Agricultural College, Guelph gave his advice on the layout of lawns and flower beds, selection of plants, etc. F.H. Deacon, a very successful stockbroker in Toronto and son of R.S. Deacon, former mayor of Milton, donated three sterling silver cups for annual competitions of the Society. The initial winners were announced in the paper in November 1910 along with a letter from T. Manton, the ‘government judge’. By that time, the society’s name had been shortened to just Milton Horticultural Society.
In September 1914, the Milton Horticultural Society held its first plant and flower show at the town hall from 1pm to 10pm. Admission was 10 cents and J.E. Britton of the Guelph Agricultural College was the judge. Membership grew steadily over the years from 80 in 1910 to over 100 by 1915 and the Milton Horticultural Society was well on its way.